Field Names

More than sixty fields in the parish were identified and recorded by name when the detailed survey was undertaken in the 1840’s to support a register of land owners required to pay tithes.

The Miscellany included (page 39 to 41) a review of these names and their probable origins together with a sketch-map based on 1847. That map is reproduced here and the names in the register listed below, with their Welsh language origins both obvious and “best guesses” where we think they can be recognised

1 Cockin (red land) 30A Cae Garrows (Cae Garw = rough field)
2 Wood Lain (slope) 31 Pullagessig (Pwll-y-gaseg = the mare’s pond)
3 Clock Lain (Cloch = bell) 32 Penapull (Pen-y-pwll = top of the quarry)
4 The Tom (sic) 33 Upper Prysg = (brushwood)
5 Cae Witty (Willy) George 34 Prysg M (Maes?)
6 Livas (a personal name) 35 Cider Mill Field
7 Cae Filly (Ffili’s field) 36 Llena Vaur (Llain Fawr = the big piece)
8 Coitia (Coedtew – thick wood) 37 Saw Pit field
9 The Cwmddy (Black Hollow) 37A Clifford’s Wood
10 Callum Tross 38 Malthouse Field
11 Top Meadow 39) Upper, Lower and …
12 Cae Cailth (Cail = sheepfold, or Calch = Lime) 40) Little Castle Edwards
13 Cae Jockey 41 Quarry Field
14 Cae Ruin 42 Slima
15 Cae Jean 43 Captain’s Field
16 Cae Binka (CaeBanciau = field of banks or Cae Becca, a personal name) 44 Duke’s Piece
17 Cae Ba Sykeitch (Cae Bach Sychedig = little parched field) 45 St. Torse (?)
18 Well field 46 Shed Field
19 Cae Wisha-ty (Cae-is-y-ty = field below the house) 47 Cae Davy
20 Wughet (Welsh rendering of “wicket”) 48 Martin’s Field
21 Cae Thatch 49 Graig Field
22 Cae Pucha (Cae Buches = Cow Pasture) 50 The Phicks (?)
23 The Colonel’s orchard 51 Long Barn
24 Cross Onen(Ashen cross) 52 Spring Meadow
25 Sheepcot Field 53 With Cae Pwll
26 Peggy Jones Field 54 The Potash (where fertiliser was made or stored)
27 Maes Argoed 55 Richards
28 Cae Fruin (Bridle Field) 56 Derra Cutta (Dera Cytir = Fiends Common)
29 Cae Melyn (Yellow Field) 57 The Canters (Cant hir = long hundred)
29A Cae Fold 58 South View Meadow
30 Cae Gwyn (White Field) 59 Park Field
60 Yew Tree Field

Information more recently coming to light enables the empty centre of the map (roughly the area called Pentwyn) to be filled with field boundaries. The following lists and locates those fields and properties given names in the 1847 register.

143 “Cottage and garden called Cae Cause” (Caws = cheese or Cawsi = causeway)

145 “Old Land, top of the hill.”

172 “House, garden and homestead” (“Cae Pwll Du” – Black Pit Field)

174 “Lower Cae Drellys (Drwgllys = literally Black Slime Field)

175 “Penny Gardens Meadow” (a corruption of Pen-y-Garn = the hill top with/by a cairn)

178 “Upper Cae Drellys”

378 “Lower Well Field

379 “Grass Green”

396 “Cae Cant” (Field at the Edge or Rim)

399 “Cross Vane Piece” (Croes Faen = stone cross)

408 “Far Piece”

419 “Piece at Pentwyn”

Best guesses as to today’s names of the properties shown on this map are:

143 Crick Farm
172 Moorcroft House
411 The Old Post Office
412 Pengellyn
405 Little Pentwyn
402 Cae Lles
383 The Bush Inn
395 Pentwyn Green
418 Greenways

The 1847 register lists few field names towards the north and south of the parish – the areas north of Llananant and the Glyn and in Tregagle south of the Argoed. Those that do appear have such mundane names as Five Acres and Well Field (immediately north of the Old Church).

The same is true of an area to the east, the Washings, where numerous small orchards are listed as such. However, the area south of the Washings is of interest because it includes a narrow strip of land, bordering the Wye identified as the site of the vanished St. Denys Chapel and listed in 1847 as Chapel Meadow – field nos. 530/531 in the sketch map. Other named fields between Barn Lane and the Wye also shown in this map are listed below. (St Denys Chapel is the subject of a separate article with the relevant section of the “Tithe Map”).

295 Lower Redbrook Meadow
296 Little Redbrook Wood
301 House, garden & orchard (Boat Inn)
302 Lower Lugas
307 Sidelong Field (alongside Barn Lane)
523 House and garden (Cae Dee?)
524 Orchard and pond
525 Old Orchard
526 Cottage and garden
527 House and garden
532 Garden
533 House, buildings and Plick (sic)
534 Grist mill and orchard

There are no entries in the register for fields numbered 528, 535 and 541.

The 1847 map and sketch maps based on it which are reproduced here are not strictly to scale and of course some boundaries have disappeared or changed during the intervening years.

[from: Penallt Revisited]