[Weather data recording started in Penallt in March 2011. The charts below show the monthly summaries from January 2022 until the end of December 2022 and also compare Penallt’s 2022 weather with the 1981-2010 overall average data for Usk, the nearest place (16 km by crow) for which reliable data exist.]
Monthly maximum and minimum temperatures
The chart shows that Penallt monthly averages mirrored the long term averages for Usk pretty well overall, with December being much colder than usual, thanks to a week’s worth of polar air, and July and August providing a long and hot summer.
Penallt was clearly warmer by night overall, perhaps due to temperature inversion effects.
- August 18th was the warmest day of the year with a maximum of 34.4°C
- December 14th had the lowest maximum temperature of -1.6°C; there was one other day (Dec 13th) with sub zero all day.
- Warmest by night was July 19th with a minimum of 27.8°C
- Coldest by night was December 15th, with a minimum temperature of -6.2°C
- There were 89 days on which the temperature exceeded 20°C and 29 when it was below 0°C
- The mean annual temperature was 11.2°C.
The mean annual temperature for England and Wales (1845 to 2012) is 9.3°C. The 2022 figure for Penallt is thus 1.9°C above the England/Wales average. The mean maximum temperature was 15.1°C (Usk = 14.8°C). Night times were much warmer than usual (mean min = 7.3°C, 1.6°C above that for Ross).
The chart below shows that 2022 was much the warmest year in Penallt since records started in April 2011. This agrees with the Met Office assertion that 2022 is the warmest year on record in the UK.
The chart shows the usual uneven distribution of rainfall throughout the year. Three months had in excess of 100 mm falling, with May’s 185.4 mm being the wettest. By contrast, November was an untypically dry month (15.2 mm)
Overall, the total rainfall for 2022 was 909.0 mm (35.8 inches), 84% of the average Usk total of 1076.9 mm (42.4 inches) showing that the year was drier than average overall and making it the driest year since Penallt records began in April 2011, despite the very wet November.
- Rain was recorded on 196 days in the year
- The wettest day was November 15th when 40.2 mm fell
- 20 mm or more fell on 7 different days
Much more information about month by month descriptions of weather in this year as well as the detailed daily data is available here.