Weather data recording started in Penallt in March 2011. The charts below show the monthly summaries from January until the end of December 2014 and also compare Penallt’s 2014 weather with the 1971-2000 overall average data for Ross-on -Wye, the nearest place for which reliable data exist.
Monthly maximum and minimum temperatures
The chart shows that February and March were abnormally cool months, July was much warmer than usual. The first half of the year was cooler then average overall, and the second half was a little warmer than usual, with the exception of the cool November.
- July 26th was the warmest day of the year with a maximum of 29.0°C
- January 30th had the lowest maximum temperature of 2.3°C; there were no days with sub zero all day.
- Warmest by night was July 18th with a minimum of 17.2°C
- Coldest by night was December 28th, with a minimum temperature of -2.3°C
- There were 81 days on which the temperature exceeded 20°C and only 8 when it was below 0°C
- The mean annual temperature was 10.7°C
The mean annual temperature for England and Wales (1845 to 2012) is 9.3°C. The annual data for Penallt stretches back to 2012 (9.5°C) and 2013 (9.5°C), both years being about average overall. However, the 2014 figure is 1.4°C above the England/Wales average, a remarkable increase, caused mostly by minimum temperatures being regularly above those expected, as the chart below shows. It is generally reckoned that 2014 was the warmest year on record in the UK.
The chart shows that two months, January and February, were very much wetter then usual and May, August and November were all very wet too. By contrast, September was a remarkably dry month.
Overall, the total rainfall for 2014 was 1508 mm (59.4 inches), 114% above the average Ross total of 706.2 mm (27.8 inches) showing that the year was much wetter than normal overall – almost as wet as the 1575 mm of 2012 however.
- Rain was recorded on 235 days in the year
- The wettest day was January 1st when 43.8 mm fell
- 20 mm or more fell on 15 different days
Much more information about month by month descriptions of weather in this year as well as the detailed daily data is available here.