The Olympic Torch entered Wales through Monmouth on Friday May 25th 2012 and the town was the centre of a range of activity to welcome the torch both to our county and country. As well as the street level entertainment, there was a river festival with small craft from local schools and the town’s rowing club between 9am and 10.30am. Some canoeists remained on the Monnow to greet the Torch
Although not available to the wider public, Monmouth’s Shire Hall will be doing a web cast link with other Monmouths around the world.
The programme for the day was:
- 9.45 Band
- 9.50 – 10.20 Street Entertainment
- 10.30 LOCOG Convoy
- 11.04 Torch Relay
Entertainers appearing in Monmouth included:
- Trellech Primary School – Official Olympic Mascot Dance
- The Singing Club – Mixed adult harmony singing group performing a variety of repertoire from world music to Welsh folk songs
- Welsh Border Morris Dancing
- The Grange preparatory school – called the Grange Singers -presenting songs from the musical “Gold”
Olympic Torch Route
6000 Monmouth school children were bussed in by the Council and another 4-6,000 visitors lined the streets.